Carer Information

A carer is someone who, without payment, provides help and support to a friend, neighbour or relative who could not manage otherwise because of frailty, illness or disability. They may even be juggling paid work with caring responsibilities at home. Carers have a tough job – it can mean unrelenting pressure, little chance to relax and a lot of worry. The system is complicated, and the issue is hidden.

Support for you in Harrogate

Becoming a carer can feel isolating and it’s often a struggle to get the information you need. When you are looking after someone, it’s important to have some help and support for yourself, such as a break from caring.

Carers’ Resource: provides support for carers, no matter what their age, race, religion or needs. 

Carer’s Resource Harrogate11 North Park Road, Harrogate HG1 5PD

Tel 01423 500555

Carers can contact them directly, or may be referred by their GP or health professional. Amongst the different services they provide are:

  • help applying for benefits
  • support planning
  • guidance through the health and social care systems
  • a comprehensive information pack
  • tailored information on any caring or carer related subject
  • advice on how to apply for a carers assessment
  • information about planning for emergencies
  • opportunities to access coffee mornings, lunch clubs and supper groups
  • access to leisure based classes such as art or aromatherapy

Carer’s Assessments

All carers who feel that they could benefit from some support now have the right to a free statutory assessment, known as a ‘carer’s assessment’, even if the ‘cared for’ refuses an assessment of their needs. You should contact the council covering the area where the person you care for lives. If you don’t want a carer’s assessment but you are looking for advice and information about local support, the council will be able to help you.

Contact North Yorkshire County Council by phone 01609 780780 or online:

Carer’s Emergency Card Scheme

What would happen if YOU were involved in an unforeseen emergency? Have you made plans for coping in a crisis?

The carer’s emergency card identifies you as a carer if you have an accident or cannot identify yourself. It is the size of a credit card.

The scheme offers 24-hour emergency cover, so if anything happens to you while you are out or you are suddenly taken ill at home they will get in touch with your identified emergency contact(s) or take appropriate action.

Anyone over 18 who cares for someone in North Yorkshire can apply for a card.

Contact North Yorkshire County Council by phone 01609 780780 or online:

Your Own Health

As a carer, it is important that you look after your own health; it is easy not to look after yourself when you are looking after someone else. At East Parade Surgery we want to be able to do all we can to try to help you to stay as fit and healthy as possible. We will do our best to help you look after yourself as well as the person you care for. For example we are keen to offer flu vaccinations to carers each Autumn. We keep a register of carers who are our patients so that we can let you know about any new services or support that becomes available. Please register yourself as a carer at reception or discuss it with your Doctor.

Other Useful Contacts

IAPT North Yorkshire

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies.IAPT is a national NHS programme to increase the availability of talking therapies for mental health problems such as stress, anxiety and depression. Patients can self refer on line, and by phoning:

01423 852137

Living Well

Living Well work with people in need to reduce loneliness and isolation, increase participation and support them to be independent.

North Yorkshire County Council 01609 780780

Dementia Forwards

Dementia Forwards are an experienced and established team, passionate about supporting people living with dementia and those who care for them. They support people living in North Yorkshire.

They provide a number of services and different avenues of support and information to anyone who is interested in dementia, whether they have received a diagnosis, have concerns about their memory, support someone with memory problems, work in dementia care or just want to know more.

03300 578592

Harrogate and Ripon Centres for Voluntary Services, Where to Turn directory

Where to Turn is a directory of regular community activities and services provided by voluntary organisations across the Harrogate District. This fully searchable directory contains information about over 700 activities and services and is regularly updated by local charity, Harrogate & Ripon Centres for Voluntary Service.

01423 504074

NHS Carer information

There is a wealth of information on the NHS website about carers and caring, which can be access through the following link: