We always try to provide the best service possible, but there may be times when we don’t quite get this right, or you feel this hasn’t happened. If you have a complaint about the service you have received from any of our staff working for this practice, you are entitled to ask for an explanation.

How to complain

We hope that most problems can be sorted out easily and quickly, often at the time in which they arise and with the person concerned. If your problem cannot be sorted out in this way, and you wish to make a complaint, please let us know as soon as possible as this will enable us to establish what happened more easily.

You can complain by:

Letter: You can write us a letter with your feedback or concerns. We can help you write down your complaint if you need help to do so. Your complaint should be addressed to the Business Manager who will ensure it is investigated thoroughly.

Verbally: Please ask to speak to the Practice Manager (or the Deputy Practice Manager in their absence) who will be happy to speak to you face to face or over the telephone

We aim to investigate all complaints and report back to you within four weeks; however in some cases more time may be required. In this case, we will always let you know if our investigation is going to take longer. This process does not affect your right to make a formal complaint to the Health Service Ombudsman if you wish. Nor does it affect your right to seek compensation in law.

What we shall do

We will acknowledge your complaint and investigate it. We aim to:

  • find out what happened and what went wrong
  • make it possible for you to meet and discuss your complaint with those concerned, if you would like this. You may bring a friend or relative with you to help with this discussion
  • make sure you receive an apology and explanation where this is appropriate
  • identify what we can to make sure the problem does not happen again

Complaining on behalf of someone else

We ensure strict adherence to the rule of medical confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, we will need to have their written permission for you to do so. Neither can we provide confidential information without the appropriate authority to do so.

If you are unhappy with how the practice has dealt with your complaint, you can complain to the Integrated Care Board (commissioners of Primary Care Services):

The Integrated Care Board Experience Team
Humber and North Yorkshire ICB
Health Place
Wrawby Road
DN20 8GS

Emails can be directed

Telephone: 01904 555999

If you feel that you are not satisfied with the response you have received, you also have the right to take your complaint to the Health Service Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is independent of government and the NHS and the service is confidential and free.

If you have any questions about whether the Ombudsman will be able to help you, or about how to make a complaint, you can contact their helpline on 0345 015 4033, email or fax 0300 015 4000. Further information about the Ombudsman is available at The Ombudsman can be contacted at:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower